[vtkusers] Oblique slice of 3D image data

Tijmen Klein T.R.Klein at student.rug.nl
Tue Sep 20 07:40:35 EDT 2011

I'm currently lost on this one. I have some 3D scalar image data, and want
to extract and display a 2D slice/cut from this. The origin and normal of
the cutting plane are obtained externally. So I construct a vtkPlane with
this information, and then apply this pipeline:

vtkStructuredPointsReader -> vtkCutter (with vtkPlane as the cut function)
-> vtkPolyDataMapper -> vtkActor

However, the colors that are shown on the plane don't seem to be accurate.
When I create a slice in Paraview of the same data, the colors on the plane
look completely different. Is this because Paraview uses a textured plane
for this? If so, how can I get this in VTK? I've looked at
the vtkImageReslice, but it does not really seem to be handy when you work
with an external normal and origin?

Cheers,
Tijmen