[vtkusers] modifications to canny

cagatay bilgin bilgincc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 03:41:06 EDT 2011

Hello everybody,

I am trying to modify the example given here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Images/ImageNonMaximumSuppression
so that it uses a different "magnitude image" and a
different "vector field" for performing the maximum
suppression and edge linking. That is, I have my own
image to be suppressed instead of the gradient magnitude,
and I would like to give my own vector field where the
suppression should take place. I am working in 3D.
I use the vtkMetaImageReader to read in the magnitude
and the vector images without a problem and connected
these to the nonmax filter successfully.

Now my questions are:

1) Do the filters used in the example all work in 3D ?
My understanding is that vtkLinkEdgels is 2D.

2) If so, how do I write the result after  edge linking and thresholding?
I tried vtkMetaImageWriter
(writer->SetInputConnection(thresholdEdgels->GetOutputPort());)
but that failed. I guess I need to a mechanism to like structured point
to image ?

Thanks in advance,
Cagatay