[vtkusers] Find closest point

nuno.jf nunofernandes7 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 14:57:49 EDT 2011

David, thank you for your help.
I am now using FindClosestNPoints and using the second point.
The purpose of this distance calculation is because I'm trying to remove
noise from one point cloud and I am trying to implement in VTK, this
Statistical Outlier Removal filter that is available in PCL. The link for
this filter can be found bellow:
http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/statistical_outlier.php#statistical-outlier-removal

Basically, what they say regarding this filter is the following:
"For each point, we compute the mean distance from it to all its neighbors.
By assuming that the resulted distribution is Gaussian with a mean and a
standard deviation, all points whose mean distances are outside an interval
defined by the global distances mean and standard deviation can be
considered as outliers and trimmed from the dataset"

The method I am trying to implement is very exhaustive, as I am calculating
the distances for all the points (I have ~ 80 000 points per cloud). I had
the opportunity to see the code you developed to remove noise but, as I am
still getting used with programming and with c++ I didn't understand to much
of it.

Do you have any suggestion for what I am trying to do?
Thank you.
Nuno