[vtkusers] Creating Curved MPR Image

Eyal Ben-Ishai eyalbi007 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 04:34:06 EDT 2011

Thank you for your reply! Yes I have tried using the vtkProbeFilter, this is
the code:

  //Read volume
  std::string inputFilename = "volume.mhd";
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkMetaImageReader> reader =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkMetaImageReader>::New();
  reader->SetFileName(inputFilename.c_str());
  reader->Update();

  // Read points
  std::string filename = argv[1];
  std::ifstream fin(filename.c_str());

  std::string line;
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkPoints> points = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPoints>::New();
  while(std::getline(fin, line))
  {
    double x,y,z;
    std::stringstream linestream;
    linestream << line;
    linestream >> x >> y >> z;

    points->InsertNextPoint(x, y, z);
  }

  fin.close();

  // Polydata
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> polydata =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData>::New();
  polydata->SetPoints(points);

  // Probe Filter
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkProbeFilter> probe =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkProbeFilter>::New();
  probe->SetSource(reader->GetOutput());
  probe->SetInput(polydata);
  probe->Update();

Regarding this code, I have 3 questions (other than "is it correct?" of
course):

   1. 'points' are the points to sample the volume at. There are 10,000
   sampling points that should output a 100x100 2D image. However, I didn't use
   this information anywhere which is probably incorrect since 10,000 points
   can also produce 50x200 2D image. How should it be done?
   2. How can I render the resulted 2D image?
   3. The probing ('probe->Update()') takes quite a lot of time (~400ms),
   while I need this action to be much faster since it's intended to be
   interactive. How can I speed things up? Maybe using vtkStructuredGrid
   will be faster?

Thank you so much,
Eyal.