[vtkusers] VTK Volume Reader

khaled danwar khaled.danwar53 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:02:50 EDT 2011

Hello vtk Users

I've been trying to follow Medical1.cxx in the vtk examples given.

I'm trying to use volumeReader so that I can use vtk marching Cubes to
construct a surface.

The files I am using are dicom files. They are a series of 2D slices in
dicom format. But its not these files I want passed into Marching cubes. I
look at each dicom slice and use region growing segmentation to extract the
particular bones I want from CT/DICOM scans. I save/write these outputs into
their respective new files. I save them as .mha files.

So now, I'm trying to volume render these 2D mha files via marching cubes to
view the bones I segmented out in 3D but I'm getting really odd results,
nothing close to what looks like a fraction of the skull; plus the
documentation in Medical1.cxx told me to change the extension from mha to .1
.2 .3 and so on

Please shed some light volume Reader and how I can use it in my situation,
thanks for any help

Khaled