[vtkusers] get max texture memory size

Andreas Bruening devmail.andi at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 12 08:19:59 EDT 2011

Hi all,

how can i get the maximum available texture memory? I am working on a volumerendering tool using vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper. I have to deal with large volume data and want to figure out if the data fits in the texture memory in one block. My idea is to call
glTexImage3D(GL_TEXTURE_3D,0,static_cast<GLint>(nInternalFormat),
nExtent[1] +1,nExtent[3] +1, nExtent[5] +1,0, nFormat, nType,0);

at the beginning and see if i can reserve a block of a desired size. But if this function succeeded the mapper cant allocate such a big block anymore(without calling the function it works). I guess the glTexImage function reserves the block and i have to release it. But i dont know how and i need help!

And is there a tool to tray the grafic cards memory? I would like to see how much texture and video memory is in use and free in total.

Thanks in advance
Andi