[vtkusers] Issue on handling Large Data

rakesh patil prakeshofficial at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:21:23 EDT 2011

Hello users,

I have implemented a feature in my application which reads file that
contains x,y and depths values and displays them as a scattered points.
Well, the actual procedure what I have used is all the data which is read
from the file is being stored into vtkDoubleArray and vtkPoints. i.e. x, y
in vtkPoints(z = 0) and depth as a scalar array at the pointdata.

Then I set these things to an unstructured grid and pass it through
vtkDelaunay2D object to triangulate it. And then pass it through
vtkTransformFilter to do some transformations and then finally send it to
mapper which in turn will map it into an actor. Since I am away from my
workplace so I cannot post the exact code.

This works fine for small amount of datafile of say 30MB contains 2lakhs
number of points. Now I have a file of 520MB which contains approximately 70
to 80 lakhs nodes. On loading this file, my application crashes and closes
automatically. So apart from this method, is there any other way to load
such large amount of data?

Or I can put the question in other way. How to handle large amount of datas
in VTK? Is there any technique, which can handle such a large amount of data
in order to display points.? Also how do I improve the rendering speed.? I
use wxRenderWindowInteractor as my application is build with wxWidgets

Thanks