[vtkusers] cmake verison

N David Brown hubdave at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:37:11 EDT 2011

Ming - I'll assume you're on a Windows machine and have downloaded and
installed Visual Studio 2008 Express.

   1. Download VTK latest source.
   2. Download CMake latest version.
   3. Install CMake.
   4. Create new directory VTKDir somewhere (can be called anything).
   5. Create new directory VTKBuild somewhere (can be called anything).
   6. Extract VTK source into VTKDir - directory structure should then look
   like VTKDir/Common, VTKDir/CMake etc.
   7. Run CMake-GUI.
   8. Set "Where is the source code:" field to VTKDir path (i.e.
   path/to/VTKDir)
   9. Set "Where to build the binaries:" field to VTKBuild path (i.e.
   path/to/VTKBuild)
   10. Click 'Configure' and select Visual Studio 2008 (or VS 2008 64bit if
   you want to build 64 bit).
   11. New fields will appear above. Set VTK_DATA_PATH to VTKDir path.
   12. If you want to build .dll files as well as .lib files then tick box
   for BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
   13. If you want to use with KWWidgets then tick box for WRAP_TCL
   14. Click 'Configure' again. Wait until done.
   15. Click 'Generate'. Wait until done.
   16. Open Windows Explorer (file browser), navigate to VTKBuild/, open
   VTK.sln (double click, will open in Visual Studio 2008).
   17. Choose Debug or Release in dropdown in middle of toolbar near top of
   Visual Studio 2008.
   18. Right click on solution - this is topmost entry in project navigator
   on left, and choose 'Build Solution'
   19. It'll take a while to build. Once finished, you'll see a final output
   at the bottom of the console in VS2008 which should say e.g. "27 Succeeded,
   0 Errors"
   20. Once built, libs and dlls are in VTKBuild/bin/Debug or
   VTKBuild/bin/Release depending on whether you built as Debug or Release.

After that you'll need to set up includes in your own code project's
settings to import all necessary libs from VTKBuild/binDebug (or Release).
You'll also need to copy dlls from that same folder (assuming you've built
dlls) into your project's executable directory.

HTH

Dave