[vtkusers] Margin around surfaces

Isaiah Norton isaiah.norton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 18:05:46 EDT 2011

Another approach is to generate a distance map, threshold at some selected
distance, and then re-run marching cubes to generate an expanded surface. I
don't really know whether this will help w/ your specific irregular shapes,
but we've used it on jagged tumor segmentations and it works pretty well.

for an example implementation, see updatedistancemapvolume and
updatemodelpipeline in [1]

that code uses a vtk->itk wrapper [2] around an itk dmap function, but the
extra layer is convoluted. I think there is a distance map function
available directly in vtk for use instead.

-Isaiah

[1]
https://github.com/ihnorton/Slicer-DistanceTransformModel/blob/master/Logic/vtkSlicerDistanceTransformModelLogic.cxx
[2]