[vtkusers] drawing bounding boxes as 3d solids

Philip Winston pwinston at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 15:26:33 EDT 2011

I have a 3d shape which as described by bunch of 2d bounding boxes
(100,000's).  The boxes are divided into planes, maybe 1000-10,000 planes.
 A single plane might have one bound box, or it might have several with
intersect each other.  All coordinates are integers in the range 0...12000
or so.

What's the best way to draw this? I want to see it just as a solid surface
representing the outter most portion of the boxes, a 3d solid opaque shape.

Some of my initial thoughts:
1) Convert it to triangles and just draw an unstructured bag of triangles?
2) Convert it to triangles but decimate/optimize the mesh to eliminate
interior triangles?
3) Use quads instead of triangles?
3) Use vtkImageData instead of triangles?

I'm completely new to VTK, any pointers at all are welcome.

-Philip