[vtkusers] Is Normal Estimation of the Point Set an ill-posed problem?

Sungmin Hong sungmin.hong85 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 03:30:00 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to estimate the normal of the point set of femur.

I have tried vtkPolyDataNormals, vtkPointSetNormalEstimation to get the
normals,

but both functions gave me wrong output.

Are there any other ways to estimate normals of the point set?

Or, is the normal estimation of the point set an ill-posed problem?

Any advices or comments will be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Ps. When I tried to use vtkPointSetNormalEstimation, I missed a chance to
say thank to David Doria.

Your advices were very helpful and I figured out what the problem was.

Thank you David.