[vtkusers] vtkPanel.addWindowSetObserver – where did it go?

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Tue Nov 29 00:02:53 EST 2011

Hi Jarek,

I did remove this observer thing because I didn't know it was useful.

First, to set the size on the vtkPanel/vtkCanvas, you should use the
setSize() method, which should now work properly by setting the
correct size to the interactor as well once the window is ready. If
not we need a test that illustrate such issue. In fact, this should
now work properly without writing any extra code as we use to need.

Second, for your picking example, you can simply set the picker right
away, although I agree you can not pick a cell by default as you don't
know if the panel is properly initialized. So if you can not live
without that then you should add a bug for requesting an API on
vtkPanel/vtkCanvas to get notified once the renderer get properly
initialized.
Although you have a method that let you know if the window is set or
not (isWindowSet()). This let you set a timer in the EDT that loop
until the window is set so you can do your operation of
initialization, especially the picking. (picker.Pick(85, 126, 0,
renWin.GetRenderer());)

Sorry about that change but I did it to clean up some legacy code,

Seb