[vtkusers] vtkImageActor for 10 bit displays?

Jesús Spí­nola jspinola at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 08:57:27 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am also interested on this topic.

My question is, how can you achieve 10-bit display when vtkImageActor
requires data to be of unsigned char type? (
http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.6/html/a00819.html) This means data is cut
down to 8-bit, so the resolution is already lost though your vtkImageData
were of short  type (2 bytes).

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Some (maybe most?) 10-bit displays use a 24-bit RGB to 10-bit
> greyscale conversion.  In other words, they are designed to work with
> standard 24-bit frame buffers and 24-bit DVI cables.  The 24-bit to
> 10-bit conversion may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the
> basic idea is that you can achieve 10-bit display simply by applying
> the correct RGB lookup table in VTK when displaying the image.
>
> Is there a specific 10-bit monitor that you are planning to use?
>
>  - David
>

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:13 AM, endlosschleife1
> <endlosschleife1 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to render 2D images, potentially also on 10 bit greyscale
> > displays. VtkImageActor2D only supports 8 bit (it uses GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE
> as
> > format for the glTexImage2D calls). Is there currently in way in VTK to
> use
> > short scalars for 2D texture based image rendering?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Jesús Spínola