[vtkusers] Problem with vtkChartXY::SetTitle and vtkAxis::SetTitle

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Nov 2 14:09:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Andrew Wiles <awiles at ndigital.com> wrote:

>  Hello everyone,
>
> I haven't seen a reply to this yet, so I thought I might just renew this
> thread.  If I don't see a reply soon, I might log it as a bug as it doesn't
> make sense to me, everything else works fine when using RelWithDebInfo.  I
> would really like to use that as running everything in Debug is pretty slow.
>
> --------------------
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for your support :).
>
> I took the time today to rebuild my VTK and my application code using both
> Debug.  I then had to change my title string to use the ".toAscii()"
> conversion instead of the ".toStdString()" conversion for my QString
> objects.  Everything now works in Debug only with MSVC 2010 Express.  I
> still need to test the release modes.
>
> However, things still don't work when both are RelWithDebInfo.  Maybe
> Marcus can enlighten when he has a chance.

Hi,

I was out of the office on vacation, hence the delay in replying. I would
like to spend a little time investigating the issue here, as this should
function in all build configurations. I am not sure we have any Windows
dashboards building RelWithDebInfo, but I can test this locally and perhaps
add a dashboard submission.

Mixing Release and Debug builds will never end well on Windows, and it is
probably a good thing to have this fail early as you MS change things in
the STL and C++ runtime quite a bit. The reason this happens it because of
the changes the MS compilers make to things like STL strings in the two
build configurations - I will let the Windows experts comment further on
this (but that is my understanding).

Marcus