[vtkusers] Cylinder Anti-Aliasing

Jon Payne jpayne at hgl-dynamics.com
Tue May 31 04:36:39 EDT 2011

> Hi Jon,
>
> I'v tried to use OpenGL function directly with no sucess.
> Do you or someone know how to make this anti-aliasing over vtkCylinderSource?
>
> Regards
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Thiago Macedo<tmacedo29 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> firstly, thank you for your prompt answer.
>> Actually, I'm already using all the *SmoothingOn() funcions. The
>> attached image, in my last e-mail, already has the 3 Smoothing algo.
>> as ON.
>> Anyway, I'll try the OpenGL command too.
>>
>> Regards,

>>> Hi Thiago ,
>>>
>>> I think you'll need the following for a cylinder if not a wire-frame:
>>> PolygonSmoothingOn();
>>>
>>> I generally do:
>>>
>>>     renderWindow->LineSmoothingOn();
>>>     renderWindow->PointSmoothingOn();
>>>     renderWindow->PolygonSmoothingOn();
>>>     glHint(GL_POINT_SMOOTH_HINT, GL_NICEST);
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jon

>>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>> Thiago B. Macedo

Hi Thiago,

The proper solution I suppose is to enable anti-aliasing but that relies
on Open GL extensions... I did try to enable it some time ago but was
unsuccessful. Haven't got around to looking it to what was preventing it
from working I'm afraid.

Ah, also, bare in mind that you need to do:

     renderWindow->SetMultiSamples(0);
     renderWindow->AlphaBitPlanesOn( );  // not sure if this is needed

Cheers,
Jo