[vtkusers] about python SIP wrapper for QVTKWidget

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Wed May 18 11:25:20 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 09:07:16 am Lic. José M. Rodriguez Bacallao wrote:
> two simple questions:
>
> 1- what is wrapped with sip in vtk?

Qt based classes are wrapped using SIP.  SIP is used because it knows about
Qt's metaobject system.
Bridge wrappings are created for all wrapped VTK based classes so they can be
used in Qt based classes wrapped with SIP.

> 2- these wrappers are better than those made swig?

I would expect them to be better.  Swig doesn't have knowledge of Qt's
metaobject system.
You can see VTK/GUISupport/Qt/Testing/Python/TestConnection.py for an example
of using a python method (annotated as a Qt slot) as an event callback.

> 3- how stable are the wrappers?

There are no known issues.  But I'm not sure how much its been used beyond the
tests made for it.

> 4- these wrappers will be available in the next release of vtk?

Yes.

--
Clinton Stimpson
Elemental Technologies, Inc