[vtkusers] ExodusII problem or bug?? Please help

Davood Ansari david.ansari at gmail.com
Tue May 17 09:03:33 EDT 2011

Thanks for the help.

1. I tried to figure out but it seems to be a little bit beyond me.
Given the directions I will try to fix the problem myself and maybe then I
will submit my first patch to vtk!

2. I can confirm that the node orders for quad9/bi-quadratic-quad are
identical.
So when quadratic quad is used instead of bi-quadratic quad, the missing
node is the last one (8).

3 -- 6 -- 2
|       |      |
7 -- 8 -- 5
|       |      |
0 -- 4 -- 1

However, one question is how does  vtkExodusIIReader
differe from vtkExodusReader.
If I open the file and use PrintSelf methods They produce slightly different
information:

vtkExodusIIReader:
*
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 34
Reference Count: 2
Registered Events: (none)
Executive: 0x1536d60
ErrorCode: Success
Information: 0x1533ed0
AbortExecute: Off
Progress: 1
Progress Text: (None)
FileName: sphere-6.exo
XMLFileName: (null)
DisplayType: 0
TimeStep: 0
TimeStepRange: [0, 0]
ExodusModelMetadata: OFF
PackExodusModelOntoOutput: ON
ExodusModel: 0
Metadata:
  Exoid: -1
  AppWordSize: 8
  DiskWordSize: 8
  ExodusVersion: 4.57
  ModelParameters:
    Title: cubit(/home/dansari/Desktop/sphere-6.exo): 05/13/2011: 16:08:57
    Dimension: 3
    Nodes: 26
    Edges: 0
    Faces: 0
    Elements: 6
    Edge Blocks: 0
    Face Blocks: 0
    Element Blocks: 1
    Node Sets: 0
    Edge Sets: 0
    Face Sets: 0
    Side Sets: 0
    Element Sets: 0
    Node Maps: 0
    Edge Maps: 0
    Face Maps: 0
    Element Maps: 0
  Time steps (0):
  TimeStep: 0
  HasModeShapes: 0
  ModeShapeTime: -1
  Blocks:
    Element block 1 "Unnamed block ID: 1 Type: QUAD9 Size: 6" (6)
        FileOffset: 1
        CachedConn: 0x153b380 (1)
        PointMap: 26 entries, ReversePointMap: 26 entries
        Type: QUAD9
        Bounds per entry, Node: 9 Edge: 0 Face: 0
        Attributes (0):
  Sets:
  Maps:
  Array Cache:
    Debug: Off
    Modified Time: 10
    Reference Count: 1
    Registered Events: (none)
    Capacity: 128 MiB
    Size: 0.00390625 MiB
    Cache: 0x1536d10 (4)
    LRU: 0x1536d40
  SqueezePoints: 1
  ApplyDisplacements: 1
  DisplacementMagnitude: 1
  GenerateObjectIdArray: 1
  GenerateFileIdArray: 0
  FileId: 0*

ExdosuReader:

*
Modified Time: 85
Reference Count: 2
Registered Events: (none)
Executive: 0x2310390
ErrorCode: Success
Information: 0x2307ed0
AbortExecute: Off
Progress: 1
Progress Text: (None)
GenerateBlockIdCellArray: On
GenerateGlobalElementIdArray: On
GenerateGlobalNodeIdArray: On
PackExodusModelOntoOutput: On
ApplyDisplacements: On
ExodusModelMetadata: Off
File Name: sphere-6.exo
XML File Name: (none)
Title: cubit(/home/dansari/Desktop/sphere-6.exo): 05/13/2011: 16:08:57
Dimensionality: 3
NumberOfUsedNodes: 20
NumberOfNodesInFile: 26
NumberOfUsedElements: 6
NumberOfElementsInFile: 6
NumberOfBlocks: 1
  6 elements in block 1
NumberOfTimeSteps: 0
NumberOfPointArrays: 0
NumberOfCellArrays: 0
NumberOfSideSets: 0
NumberOfNodeSets: 0
TimeStep: 0
TimeStepRange: 0 -1
DisplacementMagnitude: 1
DisplayType: 1
HasModeShapes: 0
*
The output from ExodusIIReader clearly suggests that my elements are 9 node
quads!

Please advise

Davood

    work as if you'd stay forever,