[vtkusers] ExodusII problem or bug?? Please help

Davood Ansari david.ansari at gmail.com
Thu May 12 12:17:51 EDT 2011

Hi all

I am having some trouble with reading ExodusII files generated from Cubit
12.
The elements are supposed to be (and based from what I see in the .exo file
are)
*biqudratic quads that have 9 points*. When I read the file using
vtkExodusIIReader,
however, I get *quadratic quads with 8 sampling points*.

Any idea what is going one?

Attached is the header for my .exo mesh file, as you see *num_nod_per_el1 =
9 ;* but I still get 8 point quadratic quad in VTK??

netcdf sphere {
dimensions:
    len_string = 33 ;
    len_line = 81 ;
    four = 4 ;
    time_step = UNLIMITED ; // (0 currently)
    num_dim = 3 ;
    num_nodes = 386 ;
    num_elem = 96 ;
    num_el_blk = 1 ;
    num_qa_rec = 1 ;
    num_el_in_blk1 = 96 ;
    num_nod_per_el1 = 9 ;
variables:
    double time_whole(time_step) ;
    char qa_records(num_qa_rec, four, len_string) ;
    char coor_names(num_dim, len_string) ;
    char eb_names(num_el_blk, len_string) ;
    int elem_map(num_elem) ;
    int eb_status(num_el_blk) ;
    int eb_prop1(num_el_blk) ;
        eb_prop1:name = "ID" ;
    int connect1(num_el_in_blk1, num_nod_per_el1) ;
        connect1:elem_type = "QUAD9" ;
    double coord(num_dim, num_nodes) ;

// global attributes:
        :api_version = 4.57f ;
        :version = 4.57f ;
        :floating_point_word_size = 8 ;
        :file_size = 0 ;
        :title = "cubit(/home/dansari/Desktop/sphere/sphere.exo):
03/22/2011: 19:24:22" ;