[vtkusers] What is the order of calling delete methods on a pipeline?

Xiaofeng Z xf10036 at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 14:55:03 EDT 2011

Hi Chasan,

You'll have to call Delete on each and every object you don't want to keep.  The order of delete does not matter as each object is reference counted and will be actually deleted when the reference count goes to zero.

Another method is to not use vtkSmartPointer on the objects you want to batch delete.  Say you want the Renderer to go away when the render window goes away, you would do it like this:

    vtkRenderer* renderer = vtkRenderer::New();    // renderer has ref count 1
    vtkRenderWindow* win = vtkRendererWindow::New();
    win->AddRenderer(renderer);    // renderer has ref count 2
    renderer->Delete();    // renderer has ref count 1 from vtkRenderWindwo()

In the above example, when win is destroyed, win will remove the last ref count in renderer object, in turn causes renderer be destroyed.

Hope this helps!

Xiaofeng

P.S. Personally, I don't like to over use vtkSmartPointer