[vtkusers] Uniform subsampling of mesh (point cloud) and normals

agerlach agerlach at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:13:12 EDT 2011

I'll take some time today to look at these solutions. I just want to make a
simple clarification on what I need. My meaning of uniform sampling is a
resulting mesh with a roughly constant mesh resolution (defined as the
average edge length of a triangle). I need to be able to do this without
specifying the number of vertices needed. From what I can tell ACVD requires
the desired number of vertices as an input.

What I doing is an automatic surface alignment algorithm called the
Spin-image algorithm. One of the requirements to align meshes is a constant
mesh resolution shared by all the meshes to be aligned. Because each mesh
may have a different size in physical units, the number of desired vertices
may be unknown.

Th stratified mesh sampling looks like it may work. David, do you recommend
using this: http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/708#

for computing the normals for the input of your reconstruction class?