[vtkusers] Hardware Accelerated Offscreen Rendering without X-server

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Thu Mar 31 16:21:24 EDT 2011

On 03/30/2011 11:30 PM, David Warne wrote:
> Hi all vtk guru's,
>
> I am trying find out the bast way to get hardware accelerated offsrceen
> rendering without connecting to a X-server.

This does not exist.

You can have hardware accelerated offscreen rendering with an X-server,
or you can have software rendering without an X-server using OSMesa.

My OSMesa configuration setup looks like this:

mesa setup :

cd /home/kevin/mesa
./autogen.sh \
  --prefix=/home/kevin/mesa_osmesa/ \
  --with-driver=osmesa
make -j8
make install

vtk cmake setup :

OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/home/kevin/mesa_osmesa/include
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/home/kevin/mesa_osmesa/lib/libGLU.so
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA:BOOL=ON
OSMESA_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/home/kevin/mesa_osmesa/include
OSMESA_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/home/kevin/mesa_osmesa/lib/libOSMesa.so
VTK_USE_OFFSCREEN:BOOL=ON
VTK_USE_X:BOOL=OFF