[vtkusers] How to bring an object to the coordinate's origin

nuno.jf nunofernandes7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:09:02 EDT 2011

David, for what I understood, ICP minimizes the distance between all the
points in the point clouds. So, if apply ICP to two point clouds that only
are coincident in some regions, the result will be bad, because the distance
between all the points will be considered, and not only the distance between
the coincident ones.
This is what my problem is. I have two point clouds that are only coincident
in some regions and I need to align them. Just take a look at the following
images from my specific case:

The 1st polydata(target) to which I want to align the 2nd polydata (source).
This point cloud is the front of a cranium.
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4263964/target.png

The 2nd polydata. This point cloud corresponds to the left side of the
cranium, coinciding with the left side of the 1st point cloud.
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4263964/source.png

This is how the polydatas are positioned in relation to each other:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4263964/before_ICP.png

Finally, after making some experiments combining vtkTransformPolyDataFilter
with vtkIterativeClosestPointTransform:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4263964/after_ICP.png

So, after seeing this and visiting the site you had advised me to visit, I
figured out that I need to find a way to apply ICP only to some of the
points (the left half) in the polydatas, or to apply other algorithm that
does that automatically. Is my presupposition correct? Can you help me doing
this, because I don't know what more can I do? And I believe the worst is
yet to come, because I will need to align the back of the cranium too.
Thank you so much!