[vtkusers] GDCM: Google Summer of Code 2011

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 04:33:25 EDT 2011

Students,

  I have the immense pleasure to announce that GDCM has been accepted
in this year GSoC program (*). Google Summer of Code is a program that
offers student developers stipends to write code for various open
source projects.

  For a short introduction on GDCM:

Whenever medical data, especially medical image data, is generated in
a clinical environment, that data must be stored such that it can be
retrieved by the same hospital either immediately, or after several
years to determine the effectiveness of a course of treatment and to
allow comparisons of multiple images for the same patient. Digital
Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) is a standard that
governs this capability by specifying handling, storing, printing, and
transmitting information in medical imaging. Grassroots DICOM (GDCM)
is an implementation of the DICOM standard designed to be open source
so that researchers may access clinical data directly. GDCM includes a
file format definition and a network communications protocol, both of
which should be extended to provide a full set of tools for a
researcher or small medical imaging vendor to interface with an
existing medical database.

  I am sending this offer to the vtkusers group, for the following GDCM project:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gdcm/index.php?title=GDCM_Summer_of_Code_2011#Surface_Segmentation_Storage

  This project will require some background on VTK, especially the
vtkPolyData and vtkUnstructuredGrid representation as this will be the
target implementation (GDCM will do the I/O level part). C++
experience will be required.

  If you are interested being paid for a fun project, feel free to
follow guidance from the following page:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gdcm/index.php?title=GSOC_2011_Student_Application

Regards,
--
Mathieu Malaterre