[vtkusers] 3D Volume from 2D parallel slices

Olivier Saut Olivier.Saut at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Sat Mar 19 16:52:11 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I am writing mathematical models for cancer growth. The computations are
based on cartesian grids, so I am dealing with 3D structured grids. The
data I am trying to use comes from DICOM RT structs. After reading them
with GDCM2, I have a vtkPolyData containing 2D contours on parallel
slices (as shown in the attached pictures). I am trying to reconstruct
the full 3D volume of the tumor as a binary mask defined on a cartesian
grid.

The following example
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/PolyData/PolyDataToImageData to
construct a volume from the contours does not work in my case (the
contour is not closed). Is there a way to construct the volume using
VTK, or should I look for more specialized toolkits.

Thanks a lot !

                                      - Olivier