[vtkusers] Multi-threaded VTK

Chris Volpe ARA/SED cvolpe at ara.com
Mon Jun 27 08:36:54 EDT 2011

Thanks, Aashish, I believe I understand the situation now. Please see my reply to T.R. from a few minutes ago, and let me know if I have misunderstood the situation, or if you have a suggestion on the latency problem I mention there.

As for what I am trying to achieve, here's the situation: I am supplying a library to a co-worker for use in his application. His application is not built with CMake and does not know about VTK in any way -- I am hiding those details behind an API via a pure-virtual abstract base class and a factory function that instantiates the concrete subclass that does all the VTK stuff. The client application needs to instantiate the class, set some parameters, call an initialization routine (which should pop up an interactive VTK window and return), and then periodically call routines which supply new data and camera positions and render the result, thereby producing an animation computed on the fly. In the midst of all this, the user has to be able to click in the window and do trackball-style interactions, pausing the application's animation during the user interaction. My initial approach was to use a mutex (actually, a vtkCriticalSection object), along with callbacks for StartInteraction and EndInteraction, to ensure that only *one* thread was accessing the graphics pipeline at a time. But now I see that that is not enough, since the OpenGL context is apparently thread-specific, so I need to get all the graphics out of the main application thread.

-Chris