[vtkusers] [Gdcm2] How to use vtk and gdcm in Visual Studio 2008

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:45:50 EDT 2011

Hi Kourosh,

I use these two libraries together with visual studio.  I prefer to
avoid mixing cmake with visual studio, because their paradigms are
very different-- so my approach is different from John's because I'm
avoiding cmake for my projects.

When you build gdcm, you have to have already built vtk.  If you have,
then search your cmake options for 'vtk' and turn that on.  The gdcm
cmake should automatically find the most recently cmade vtk version
and use that.  If you need two versions (one that's 32 bits and on
that's 64), you'll need to build vtk twice, and then build gdcm twice,
each time pointing to different versions of the appropriate vtk
library.

My directories look like:

VTK (source from git)
VTK-build-32 (32 bit compiled cmake result directory)
VTK-instal-32 (32 bit install directory)

CMake has an outstanding issue that will not be fixed, and that is
that the default installation directory doesn't work on modern
versions of windows unless you're running as administrator.  So, you
should change the installation directory to be something near the
build directory.  In there, you'll get bin, lib, and include
directories.  This structure is mimicked for gdcm.

Once you've 'installed' to those directories, just point visual
studio's includes to the include directories, the linker to the lib
directory, and copy the dlls from the bin directory into your binary
directory either by hand or through a post-build step. To me, this
approach is simpler than the CMakeFiles.txt approach.

Good luck,
Mark