[vtkusers] Strange volume rendering in presence of a semi-transparent plane

Jafari, Kourosh kjafari at rad.hfh.edu
Thu Jun 16 21:55:21 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I am visualizing a volume using composite ray casting technique. I also display a plane created by vtkRuledSurfaceFilter in the same scene to show where I cut the volume and create an image in another window. My problem is that when opacity of the plane is not exactly equal to 1, the intensities of the volume in front of the plane and in back of the plane are similar and that makes it impossible to determine where the plane cuts the volume. In other words, it is not possible to determine if the volume is in front or in back of the plane. Any idea why this happens?

Here is how I set the parameters of the plane actor:

lutAxial->SetColor(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);

lutAxial->SetOpacity(9.0);

lutAxial->SetAmbient(1.0);

lutAxial->SetSpecular(0.0);