[vtkusers] Graph layout initialization?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Jun 16 17:11:42 EDT 2011

Hey all,

Is there any way to do a graph layout where you give initial positions to the vertices rather than having the coordinates initially random, but then let the layout strategy handle things from there?

I'm trying to visualize some time-varying graphs where only a few new nodes and edges show up in each new time step. For speed of layout and visual continuity I'd like to do something like a Contstrained2DLayoutStrategy where nodes that have already been present in a previous time step have a greater impedance and are initially placed where they were at the end of the last layout.

It seems like any time you change the strategy or the layout input the points get re-randomized. Is there any way to assign coordinates, and then let the layout routine do it's thing from there?

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group