[vtkusers] ComputeVisiblePropBounds returns infinite data values

Andrew Wilford andrew at artwork.com
Tue Jun 14 09:51:21 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have been using a VTK based application for several years now with a
stable code base. Today I was presented with a data set that causes a
problem in ComputeVisiblePropBounds. I have debugged the data set and
the values are within the nominal range. For some reason,
ComputeVisiblePropBounds is returning values that look like this:

-    bounds    0x0012f7d0
     [0]    -1.16301e+007
     [1]    6000.00
     [2]    -1.16301e+007
     [3]    6000.00
     [4]    0.000000
     [5]    512.000

The values at index 0 and 2 are out of range. This is causing problems
with displaying the data from various camera angles.

Can anyone explain why ComputeVisiblePropBounds would be returning these
incorrect values and how it might be fixed? This is using VTK 4.2.

Thank you,
Andrew Wilford