[vtkusers] Colored height map

pax sparekd at wp.pl
Mon Jun 13 08:43:10 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm preparing for a project related to weather visualization. I have a .csv
file (100 rows, 120 colums) that contains weather data measured in my
country where each cell represents a point with temperature. The values are
measured every 5 miles, but I don't know precisely latidude and longitude of
the points. Using "Color_a_mesh_by_height" example I was able to create
rectangular colored heigh map. As I'm a new user of vtk, I'd like to ask
some questions, because some things aren't clear to me now.

1. To create the map I used vtkDelaunay2D and vtkLookupTable. I followed the
"color a mesh" example from wiki. I did it by creating points, where x
represents a column, y a row from .csv file and z represents temperature
measured in that specific point. The temperature is later used to create the
map (in my map height and color should be related to temperature). Is this
the best way of doing that or is there any better solution?
2. I'd like to link my height map with the map of my country. Map that I
created is rectangular and a bit bigger than the surface of my country and
I'd need to clip it. Is it possible? I've also tried to just put a jpg map
under the generated map, using vtkTexture and vtkTextureMapToPlan. It
displayed correctly when I add only the jpg map, but when I added 2 actors
and tried to visualize both maps, it didn't work. I suppose I'm doing
something wrong.

I'd grateful for any help. Vtk seems like a powerful tool, but I think I
don't understand everything correctly.