[vtkusers] Unexpected results with ICP transform. Bug?

Christopher Denter dennda at the-space-station.com
Sun Jun 12 09:35:16 EDT 2011

Hello there,

I'm trying to help a friend fix a script and am a little confused as to the results of the ICP transform.
For testing purposes, I passed in the exact same dataset twice. I expected to receive something like an identity matrix back, but I get seemingly random (but reproducible) values back instead.
Here's the part of the script that uses the ICP transform and some of the output:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/404964/

The ultimate goal would be to extract the best rotation / translation components from the matrix resulting from the ICP algorithm in order to know how to rotate/translate one object to best put it in place of the other.
I'm dealing with a bunch of vtkPolyData objects.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
	Christopher