[vtkusers] How to generate 3D polydata from surface (2D) polydata along surface normals?

Jafari, Kourosh kjafari at rad.hfh.edu
Sat Jun 11 22:02:23 EDT 2011

Thanks Van for your quick response!

I faced two problems with vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter:

1. There is no vtkPolyData output. The output is vtkImageAlgorithm.
2. I did not find a way to control the number of layers (the number of times the surface points are repeated along the normals)

I think your second suggestion has similar problem. Also, it seems that there are more number of samples near the surface. But I would like to have the same number of vertices at different layers. Is using distance function a statndard way to approach my problem?

Actually I forgot to mention that my surface looks like a semi-cylinder. I have generated the profile of this suface using a 1D spline. So it is not a very general surface. Maybe distance function would be a good choice for a general surface.

I would like to use such generated 3D polydata as an input to a vtkProbeFilter in order to resample a 3D image at the locations of polydata vertices. The output would be another 3D image. That is why I need to have the same number of vertices at different layers.

There is another way to describe what I would like to do: I would like to resample my 3D image by cutting the volume using flat planes that cross the surface vertices and are perpendicular to the surface. The z-component of the normal vector of such flat planes is always zero since my surface looks like a semi-cylinder.

Thanks a lot,
Kourosh