[vtkusers] Large number of actors

Nicolas Rannou nicolas_rannou at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 8 15:00:48 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Our application requires to render up to 5000x1000 PolyDatas.
Each polydata is made of 500 triangles.

It looks like it is impossible to store all the related actors in memory (on a machine with 48Gb RAM).

We have been playing around with things such as "vtkStripper", "ImmediateRendering", "ReleaseDataFlag", "BackFaceCulling", etc.

For 1000 PolyDatas:

The best option in term of memory looks like turning "ImmediateRendering" ON.
	-> 1000 actors
	-> 60 Mb of memory usage
	-> slow interaction

The best option in term of interaction seems to be using the following pipeline:
vtkPolyData->vtkStripper->vtkAppend->vtkMapper->vtkActor
	->1 actor
	-> 90mo in memory
	-> good interaction

Using only one actor is not an option for us since we want to be able to pick and change properties of each object (individually).

Would somebody have any advise?

Thanks,
Nicolas