[vtkusers] How to make a simple 2D contour plot in VTK?

emreturkoz emreturkoz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 06:59:27 EDT 2011

I'm cramming VTK examples to find out how to make a simple contour plot of
the data I've created.

Supporse I have solved a simple PDE in a 71x71 domain, on a structured
rectangular grid, in which nodes are aligned with equal distances between
them.

I've examined the example of
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/VisualizationAlgorithms/FilledContours
filledContours   which tell how to visualize a data coming from a *.vtp
file. Ok, I'm fine with it as long as I can write vtp files. The problem is
that I don't know how to create a vtp data file which is suitable for
contour plotting. I managed to create vtp files from embedded actors such as
spheres or cones, but I don't know how to do it with my 2D data array.

I also wonder whether vtp files are only for geometries but not for the data
to be visualized? Should we save the data to some other array, other than
this vtp file?

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,

Emre.