[vtkusers] hardware accelerated offscreen rendering without diplaying window

Victor Alvarez valvarez83 at ymail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:08:29 EDT 2011

Dear Adriano, Dear Aashish!

Thank you for the patch. I have tried it, and it works if I only create a single render window. But I see two issues when patching future VTK releases:

1) The patch turns off window mapping independent of the OffScreenRendering setting. Using the patch there is no possibility to map the window by calling SetOffScreenRendering(0).

2) With the patch multiple offscreen windows interfere with each other. It seems that for random frames one render window can draw into another window's pixel data. It is not reproducible which frames are corrupted and the behaviour appears to depend on other currently active processes.

I don't know how to modify the patch to work around these regression bugs. Will somebody work on a fix or should I rather change the visualisation system while I am still in the experimental phase?

Thank you
Vic

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Adriano Gagliardi <agagliardi at ara.co.uk> wrote:

> There is a patch that essentially comments out the lines of code that cause
> the X-window to pop up. I've been using it for a couple of years without
> issue:

I am wondering if people are using this patch and if it is working
then we should get this into VTK proper. I think I am volunteering
myself.

Though we have to make sure all our dashboards will pass this patch as well.

Thanks,