[vtkusers] hardware accelerated offscreen rendering without diplaying window

Victor Alvarez valvarez83 at ymail.com
Mon Jul 25 17:59:31 EDT 2011

Dear VTK gurus!

I was wondering about the status of hardware accelerated offscreen rendering in VTK *without* displaying an X window on the server (linux operating systems).

If this is possible, can somebody please document the CMake settings and a usage example in the VTK Wiki?

There have been several discussion threads on this issue, but I found no solution. They all gave up at some point. I guess http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Utilities/OffScreenRendering is the "official" example, how to render offscreen. But unless compiled with software rendering, it still displays an X window.

If this is impossible with VTK, why?? VisIt is capable of hidden, accelerated offscreen rendering. SoQt can easily do it, too.
Is VTK designed differently, so that use of modern pbuffers or frame buffer objects is excluded? Then please say so, and people can make their choice.

Thank you
Vic