[vtkusers] vtkPolyDataNormals: normals pointing in the wrong direction

Miguel Sotaquirá msotaquira at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 00:04:44 EDT 2011

Hi!

I'm using vtkPolyDataNormals to obtain point normals on my mesh. The idea is
to use these normals to compute curvatures using polynomial fitting.

The problem is that vtkPolyDataNormals is not giving me the correct normal
orientations for all vertices. Here's an example image:

http://tinypic.com/r/2dv7l36/7

as you can see, for now I'm using a synthetic, perfectly regular noiseless
mesh!

Here's my code for computing normals:

vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataNormals> normals =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataNormals>::New();
normals->SetInput( meshdata->polydata );
normals->SplittingOff();
normals->ComputePointNormalsOn();
normals->ComputeCellNormalsOff();
normals->Update();