[vtkusers] How a momory could be allocated for more than 1Giga byte?

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 04:22:45 EDT 2011

Hi, we have spent quite a bit of time recently dealing with just this sort of
issue. One thing you could try if you are using the 32 bit version of vtk
and a 32 bit Windows OS is the 3GB switch. You will need to compile your exe
as large address aware (for Visual Studio on the root exe project go to,
Properties->Linker->System, Enable Large Addresses), and either make a
change to boot.ini for XP or use bcdedit for Vista or 7. More info here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366912%28v=vs.85%29.aspx . This
will share your virtual address space as 3GB user to 1GB system, rather than
the default of 2GB each.

We ended up writing our own memory manager in the end as we are dealing with
lots of large medical images which is a really good way of fragmenting the
virtual address space, but you may find the switch above is enough. On a
related note, I don't know if it is possible to give VTK chunks of
externally allocated memory when it needs it (similar to a custom allocator
in C++). It would be very useful if this is possible.