[vtkusers] Smoothing 2D plot in ChartXY

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Jul 7 14:15:13 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Yuri Timenkov <yuri at timenkov.ru> wrote:
> Hello Marcus,
> Thank you for response and for great job: new chart API is much easier to
> use than old one. However VTK is still quite complex and more oriented for
> 3d rendering (including parallel processing).

Not sure that this is the place to debate that, but I think this is changing.

> Since I don't have tight  CPU constraints for this project I chose python
> over C++. For initial prototype python is much better since it doesn't need
> to be compiled and moreover provides interactivity. Also it has good 2d
> plotting alternatives. For my purposes I picked matplotlib (moreover, it
> allows to have 2 axes on the same

In the interests of correctness, the VTK charts support up to four
axes (two x, and two y).

> plot: http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/api/two_scales.html) and
> numpy's convolution routine (http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/SignalSmooth)
> makes it easy to fit whole program into a half of screen.

This is an area where some utility filters would certainly be helpful,
not everything is present. Patches are welcome, you can use the VTK
charts from Python too. There are other solutions out there, with pros
and cons to each.

Marcus