[vtkusers] Announcement: New image rendering classes for VTK

Dženan Zukić dzenanz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:04:43 EDT 2011

I just checked: vtkImageData origin is the same as itk::Image's origin.

But your earlier mail explained:
VTK -> scale by Spacing, translate by Origin, then rotate and translate by a
4x4 matrix

So SetPosition was needed (I realized that SetOrigin is not needed) to
counteract the built-in translation by origin, and then the 4x4 matrix does
its job.

If I knew earlier how VTK does it (exactly and concisely, like your
explanation above), I could have done the math (instead of stumbling onto
the solution by experimentation):

Mitk=Mscale*Mrot*Mtrans
Mvtk=Mscale*Mtrans*M4x4

Solving the matrix equation Mitk=Mvtk, we get M4x4=(Mtrans)^-1*Mrot*Mtrans.

Mrot*Mtrans is the 4x4 matrix I was already constructing (because scaling is
already handled by VTK). I didn't know that vtk also translates by the
origin before applying normal Prop3D transformations. And since
SetPosition(-origin) is the inverse of the translation matrix Mtrans, I was
in effect creating the above M4x4 matrix.

And after a note on notation:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/321862-pre-or-post-multiplication-for-matrices/,
things are clear now. So finally we can have this (no usage of SetPosition):

VisualizingImageType::DirectionType d=logic->visualizing->GetDirection();
VisualizingImageType::PointType origin=logic->visualizing->GetOrigin();
vtkMatrix4x4 *mat=vtkMatrix4x4::New(); //start with identity matrix
for (int i=0; i<3; i++)
    for (int k=0; k<3; k++)
        mat->SetElement(i,k, d(i,k));
for (int i=0; i<3; i++)
    mat->SetElement(i,3, origin[i]);
vtkMatrix4x4 *t=vtkMatrix4x4::New();
for (int i=0; i<3; i++)
    t->SetElement(i,3, -origin[i]); //invert(Mtrans)
vtkMatrix4x4::Multiply4x4(mat,t,mat); //keep it all in UserMatrix
volume->SetUserMatrix(mat);

Dženan