[vtkusers] Animation of multiple input files in VTK

Tijmen Klein T.R.Klein at student.rug.nl
Tue Jul 5 08:57:45 EDT 2011

I'm trying to animate multiple input files. These files are in the legacy
VTK format (.vtk), and named filename[x].vtk, where [x] is an integer. A
contourfilter is used to generate isosurfaces, and these isosurfaces should
be animated.

This is behaviour that is quite easy to achieve in Paraview (open the files,
apply contour filter, choose a frame or click play). How can something
similar be achieved in VTK? It should be possible to create a time-dependent
animation, but also manually set the current frame. I thought of creating
multiple InputReaders, and have the 'current' reader's outputport connected
to the input port of the contour filter. But I think this would not be very
efficient, since it's not possible to cache the results in this way. This
would mean that all the calculations happen again when the animations
restarts from frame 1. What would be a better solution?

Cheers,
Tijmen