[vtkusers] Class-libraries mapping

Sensei senseiwa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 04:43:17 EDT 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 6:26pm, David Doria wrote:

> With recent versions of VTK, the preferred method is to link to ${VTK_LIBRARIES}

David, something is wrong with this on my system (OSX 10.6 with gcc, cmake 2.8.1, vtk 5.6). I am compiling a simple example from the wiki (*), however, it seems that the variable ${VTK_LIBRARIES} is empty (kits, however, are ok). This is my configuration:

CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 2.6)

PROJECT(PP)

FIND_PACKAGE(VTK REQUIRED)
INCLUDE(${VTK_USE_FILE})

MESSAGE("VTK:              ${VTK_FOUND}")
MESSAGE("VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS: ${VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS}")
MESSAGE("VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS: ${VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS}")
MESSAGE("VTK_KITS:         ${VTK_KITS}")
MESSAGE("VTK_DIR:          ${VTK_DIR}")
MESSAGE("VTK_LIBRARIES:    ${VTK_LIBRARIES}")

ADD_EXECUTABLE(PP a.cpp)

IF(VTK_FOUND)
  TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(PP ${VTK_LIBRARIES})
  MESSAGE("==> WITH LIBS")
ELSE()
  TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(PP vtkHybrid)
  MESSAGE("==> *NO* LIBS")
ENDIF()

As you can see, the variable isn't filled with any item:

% cmake ..
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot - yes
-- Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
-- Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag - yes
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot - yes
-- Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
-- Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag - yes
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
VTK:              1
VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS: /Users/sensei/Applications/vtk/include/vtk-5.6
VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS: /Users/sensei/Applications/vtk/lib/vtk-5.6
VTK_KITS:         COMMON;FILTERING;IO;GRAPHICS;GENERIC_FILTERING;IMAGING;RENDERING;VOLUMERENDERING;HYBRID;WIDGETS;INFOVIS;GEOVIS;VIEWS;QVTK;CHARTS
VTK_DIR:          /Users/sensei/Applications/vtk/lib/vtk-5.6
VTK_LIBRARIES:
==> WITH LIBS
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /Users/sensei/Public/x

Am I missing something?

By the way, why isn't cmake warning about checking for vtk? It finds it, but no output like "Check for working VTK" is flushed to the console.

Thanks!

(*) http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/SimpleOperations/DistancePointToLine