[vtkusers] curve plane reformat with a vtkThinPlateSplineTransform?

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at camris.ca
Fri Jan 28 10:44:07 EST 2011

Im attempting to reslice a 3D image with a user generated curved plane to
create
a panoramic dental x-ray from a CT head scan.
So far, I have a pipeline that allows the user to draw a contour with
vtkContourWidget on an x-y slice
visualized with vtkImageActor.  I set up a vtkParametricSpline to smoothy
fit N equi-spaced points
to the contour: call this the target.  There is a straight line composed of
N equi-spaced points along
the x axis in the image plane: call this the source.  I then use
vtkThinPlateSplineTransform
to transform the source to match the target.  I would like to use this
transform information to
somehow vtkImageReslice through the 3D image to get a curvilinear plane
reformat but I
have no idea how. One alternative option I can think of is to use
vtkAppendPolyData and
generate a curved plane mesh by propogating the spline fit points from top
to bottom of
the z-slices and then useing vtkProbeFilter to sample the CT scan, but this
seems less
elegant.

Dean