[vtkusers] vtkCompositeRenderManager and vtkIcetRenderManager

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Jan 27 09:47:47 EST 2011

vtkIcetRenderManager is deprecated and using vtkCompositeRenderManager
to volume render is tough since it does not have support for ordered
compositing which is necessary when doing volume rendering or
rendering translucent geometries.

You may want to use the newer mechanism for using render passes. To
get you started, look at
ParaView/Servers/Filters/Testing/Cxx/TestIceTCompositePass.cxx in
git-master. The executable takes several commandline arguments, one of
which (--use-ordered-compositing) enables translucent geometry. You
pretty much have to do everything that it does for that case,
including building of the KdTree. If you have an ImageData that you're
volume rendering, you can use vtkKdTreeGenerator (or something modeled
on that) to build the KdTree for the using information about the
partitioning of the image.

Good luck!

Utkarsh