[vtkusers] writing vector-data to ExodusII file

wusal tanja.etzelstorfer at jku.at
Tue Jan 25 17:20:26 EST 2011

Hi!

I tried various methods to write simple vector data into an ExodusII file.
The data is read from a VTK file into an unstructuredGrid.
Writing with the vtkExodusIIWriter writes the geometry perfectly, but does
not write any data arrays even though the data is present in the
unstructured grid.
Now I came up with the idea, that the method SetInputArrayToProcess(..) of
the writer could help but I am very confused with the parameters to pass. A
lot of combinations do not produce an error, but do not help in writing the
data.

the python code is something like the following:

import vtk

reader = vtk.vtkUnstructuredGridReader()
reader.SetFileName("squareWithData.vtk")

writer = vtk.vtkExodusIIWriter()
writer.SetFileName("square.exii")
writer.SetInputConnection(0, reader.GetOutputPort())
#writer.SetInputArrayToProcess(0,0,0,0,'DisplacementField')
writer.SetInputArrayToProcess(0,0,0,0,'VECTORS')
writer.Write()

Any help is appriciated!
Thanks,
Tanja