[vtkusers] Graph visualization features in VTK

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Thu Jan 20 10:21:09 EST 2011

> DearAll,
>>
>> I plan to evaluate VTK for graph visualization and I wonder whether it
>> provides the features listed below.
>> For some features, I already found information online.
>>

>> - modifying the edge thickness/width according to some edge weight (???)
>>

>  Not currently possible. To stress certain edges I normally use a color
> map for edges that changes their opacity based on the weight.
>
>   Using the opacity is also a good idea. However, I just discovered the
> vtkGraphToPolyData class which should provide access to the edge geometry.
> Maybe, by using, e.g., vtkRibbonFilter, I will be able to change the edge
> width? I wonder how this would influence the edge picking in the view.

Absolutely. If you want to use the lower-level filters like
vtkGraphToPolyData, all sorts of other opportunities open up. Ribbons or
tubes could be used to change the width based on a metric. But you are
correct that then you don't get picking for free like you do in
vtkGraphLayoutView. As long as you have a cell or point data array that
indicates which edge the geometry came from, you should be able to use the
picker classes in VTK without too much trouble.

Jeff