[vtkusers] Visual Studio CLR makes VTK really slow ...

Frederic DANESI frederic.danesi at dinccs.com
Tue Feb 22 13:54:14 EST 2011

Hi,

We came accross something weird when using Visual Studio CLR.

We have created a very simple VTK pipeline (load a STL file => render =>
move the camera around while taking screen shots).
Those operation are integrated in a vtkPanel, build as a C++ DLL.

When using this DLL in a console application (with the VTK default
RenderWindow), we get a framerate of 100 fps.
When using this DLL in a winform application (Visual Studio 6,MFC, no CLR),
we get the same framerate.

When using this DLL in a .Net Windows Form (Visual Studio 10, CLR) we get a
framerate of 26 fps, which is not acceptable.
(Obvisously, if we use directly the VTK classes inside the CLR project
without building a library, the framerate is even worse : 6 fps).

Does anyone have knowledge about using VTK inside a CLR application without
such a loss of performance ? Are we missing something ?

Thanks,
Fred.