[vtkusers] Displaying Oblique Orientation Image Correctly?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:05:29 EST 2011

Hi Constantine,

Dealing with oriented images in VTK is not easy.  I usually do a
combination of things.  First, I use vtkImageReslice to extract slices
in the orientation that I need, and then use vtkImageActor with a
transform that ensures they are displayed in the right coordinate
system (I match the VTK world coordinate system with the DICOM
patient coordinate system).  The vtkImageReslice class has a
SetInformationInput() method that can be used to reslice one image to
match another in terms of grid size while applying a transform, this
can be used before blending images or checkerboarding them.

I'm writing some more advanced image display classes for VTK that
should help to simplify the issue.  You can read about them here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Image_Rendering_Classes, comments are
welcome.

 - David