[vtkusers] stenciling problem-- is this code thread safe?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 13:06:01 EST 2011

I was doubtful about the global memory, but I looked through the
filters just to be sure.  And guess what I found... here is some
highly suspect code in vtkLinearExtrusionFilter:

double *vtkLinearExtrusionFilter::ViaNormal(double x[3], vtkIdType id,
                                           vtkDataArray *n)
{
  static double xNew[3], normal[3];
  int i;

  n->GetTuple(id, normal);
  for (i=0; i<3; i++)
    {
    xNew[i] = x[i] + this->ScaleFactor*normal[i];
    }

  return xNew;
}

Code like the above is definitely going to cause thread problems.
And this isn't the only place in that class where code like this appears.

Yikes!

  - David