[vtkusers] Uniform subsampling of mesh (point cloud) and normals

Øystein Skotheim oystein+vtk at edge.no
Fri Feb 11 09:04:53 EST 2011

Hello. I have a high-resolution mesh that I would like to subsample to a
given resolution (e.g. I want to specify that the vertices should be 5mm
apart from each other).

Are there any decimation filters in VTK that can do this? (I do not want
to specify the number of output polygons, only the vertex spacing).

(I was playing with vtkCleanPolyData, but it destroys the topology of my
mesh)

Also, I would like to smooth the normals in the mesh (to minimize
influence from local, high-frequency variations in the geometry).
Ultimately I want to end up with list of points with associated (smooth)
surface normals.

Any opinions on how to do this correctly are appreciated :-)

Cheers,

---
Øystein Skotheim
Research Scientist